VP of Operations
Our client is a successful, specialized behavioral health services firm with clients across 5 states in the western U.S. Based in San Diego, offering applied behavior analysis, speech and language pathology and occupational therapy. Since their inception, they have built a well-respected health services firm that has grown to become one of the largest privately owned behavioral health companies in the U.S. They pride themselves on maintaining a culture that encourages and rewards candor, transparency, consensus building and having fun.
As a result of their significant growth, this organization is currently recruiting for a VP Operations to join a team of dedicated and highly competent clinicians and operations professionals. Reporting to the Founder and CEO, and working alongside the clinical team leads, the VP Operations will be responsible for providing operational excellence through process design and improvement. Ultimately, the successful candidate will create an operational “playbook” that includes companywide metrics and goals for all levels of the organization. With the direction of the CEO, the VP of Operations will be charged with holding the team accountable for the execution and delivery of these goals. The successful candidate will also provide recommendations to senior management that will enhance the timely and accurate delivery of high-quality, cost-effective and most importantly, client-centric services.
The core responsibilities of the VP of Operations will be to create an internal operating system that ultimately enables the success of the clinical team. It can be divided into the following categories: ongoing, daily operations management (roughly 40%); creation and implementation of process improvement initiatives, streamlining of operations, enhancing efficiencies; (40%); employee relations across departments, mentorship & training of direct team (20%). Once hired, the successful candidate will allow the CEO to spend more time in the field securing new clients, developing new business lines and strengthening referral relationships while allowing the executive team to handle more client-facing work.
In this role, you will be…
- Responsible for all aspects of day-to-day operations establishing policies and procedures to assure top level company production and productivity
- Creating an efficient and streamlined operational framework that leverages relevant KPIs and goals across departments and individual functions
- Holding the Executive and Professional teams accountable for timely completion of the newly formed KPIs
- Providing direct oversight for operations and administrative functions including scheduling, credentialing, project management, authorizations, utilization, resource planning, and fiscal management
- Working with the CEO, Clinical Leader, Controller, Head of HR and Practice Leaders to develop ongoing goals, focusing on key business metrics
- Leading, developing and retaining a talented management team committed to accomplishing goals, objectives, and projections
- Managing employee relations as needed
- Ensuring the Executive Team is fully informed of operational, financial and compliance status
- Documented experience (10+ years) of successfully managing the full operations for a privately held service business
- Five plus (5+) years of management and leadership experience, ideally while reporting to the CEO/President
- Recent experience managing operations, establishing goals and holding people accountable, within a service business ranging from $25m – $100m
- While not required, experience in a leadership role within the healthcare service industry is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree
You will thrive in this role if you possess…
- A goal-oriented mindset with the proven ability to leverage the collective knowledge and wisdom of the full team in a collaborative and respectful manner, rather than simply coming in as an administrator or task master
- A Proven ability to operate in an agile, hyper-growth and fluid environment with changing priorities and multiple ongoing projects/engagements
- Demonstrable time management and organizational skills that will maximize your time while contributing to a variety of projects and initiatives
- Demonstrated willingness to roll up your sleeves and step in to support the team in various activities, at all levels
- The confidence and business acumen to hold senior executives accountable for delivery of agreed upon goals and metrics
- The confidence to proactively seek out senior management for answers to relevant questions that will aid you in the delivery of the annual plan
- The proven ability and willingness to operate outside of this job description as needed, to help shape the future of this organization
- Pride in authorship, excellent writing skills and highly articulate
- A solid understanding of data and historic metrics, allowing you to craft a relevant and cross-departmental budget